"We are against the fact that our readers are spending money on useless tools": how Layfhaker writes about health
Edition / / December 27, 2019
Why do I need to know
Firstly, in order to understand how to create material on health, which you are reading. Secondly, to be able to independently verify the information and not to succumb to the tricks of swindlers willing to sell you a useless supplement for the price of the aircraft.
Article Layfhakera help to understand how to recognize the disease, when it is necessary to consult a doctor, what to do in case of complaints and what to do, you should not. We are against the fact that our readers are spending money on useless tools and treated by healers without doctor's diploma. We would like to as many people might think critically on the facts and responsibility for their health.
How to recognize alcoholism, depression and other mental disorders
When to drink antibiotics, and when not to
5 ways to check yourself for cancer
9 facts about intimate hygiene, which must know each girl
"The healer took a long look, then walked me around with a candle." As healers treated and what this means
As we check the accuracy of the facts and the effectiveness of drugs
All information on health, we analyze one algorithm. That's what we are testing.
Are there publications on authoritative sources in English
English - the international language of science, and the most authoritative publications are on it. We are looking for information on how to treat the disease and what techniques help not to get sick.
When we write about drugs, then we search and analyze publications about the drug. If we are dealing with a generic or Badami, who are not registered as medicines, we study their active ingredients.
Are the publication of the principles of evidence-based medicine
Evidence-based medicine - a concept that any medicine, manipulation or treatment must undergo rigorous testing efficiency.
Evidence-based medicine for the doctor - it is way of make informed decisions and counted. For this approach, a little intuition, personal experience and opinion influencers intuition sometimes brings, the experience may not be enough, the authorities suddenly changed his mind. The doctor needed mathematically informed choice from the available options. For example, when choosing a life-saving techniques of the patient with an infection need to know whether the medicine will lead to recovery, whether one is better than another antibiotic, a drug is less dangerous for that person, and so Further. Mathematical calculations without such an equation can not be solved.
Basil Nogovitsin, MD, Ph.D., pediatric neurologist
To confirm the effectiveness need to medications or methods shown in the result of research, and not all, but only those that are maximally exclude the probability of error.
The gold standard of evidence-based medicine - a double-blind randomized controlled trial. This means that the study was conducted according to the rules:
- In it involved several groups of subjects, at least two.
- Participants in the study were distributed into groups randomly.
- One group received a drug that study, the other - a pacifier (it is called a placebo) or well-studied drug.
- Neither the participants nor observers knew who was taking medication, and who - a placebo.
Research must be disinterested person, that is not the drug manufacturers.
I support the idea that about evidence-based medicine Everybody knew. Although, strictly speaking, no proof medicine can not be, otherwise this is not medicine. After all, any treatment must receive proof of their efficacy and safety. It is unlikely that anyone would want to take new medicine, which did not pass the test and of which may become worse. The problem is that the level of evidence may be different. For someone confirms efficacy of the drug may be the opinion of the chief or assurances tablet manufacturer, and someone needs to read the article about the double-blind studies.
Basil Nogovitsin, MD, Ph.D., pediatric neurologist
We consider only those studies in which people participated. Many substances show the effectiveness of the development phase "in vitro" or animal testing. But people are more complicated than test tubes and mice, so the drug must prove its effectiveness for humans.
According to the analysis we make conclusions about the safety, effectiveness and need medication or treatment. In some cases, it may be that some kind of additive is shown, for example, rare diseases and special conditions, but most people will not bring benefits. We reflect this in the publications.
- Why do not need to spend a lot of money on vitamins
Sources, with whom we work
When we need an authoritative opinion, we are studying the subject with the help of these sources:
- Site World Health Organization.
- Association Medscape - Articles and research for professionals.
- hospital library Mayo - it contains materials available to patients about medications and procedures.
- Library UpToDate - recommendations for patients and professionals.
In addition, we refer to scientific journals, guidelines for physicians published by the professional associations on their sites or Ministry of Health. Often we ask experts - specialists that support the principles of evidence-based medicine.
If we write about the medications or supplements, the first check:
- State register drugs.
- State Register of medical devices.
Research and scientific publications we are looking for here:
- Library Cochrane - here are placed reviews that systematize the evidence base.
- PubMed - the largest library in a variety of studies published in scientific journals.
These are not all the sources that we use in the work, but a mandatory checklist for any drug or procedure.
As we write material about health partnership
As well as editorial. Before agreeing on the advertising of medicines and dietary supplements, we must ensure that the product is safe and effective. We are against the fact that our readers are spending money on useless capsules with chalk and sugar or drugs that can harm.
Manufacturers of drugs - a category of advertisers, which we often refuse. We do not assume any obligation to, until you test the product for safety and effectiveness. Homeopathy and the useless antiviral agents we say "no" immediately, in other cases, a more thorough study: for example, we did not advertise supplements with an unknown amount of iodine because of some strange dosages they can cause poisoning.
Tatyana Nikitina, chief editor of special projects Layfhakera
We follow that on Layfhakere not appear:
- Homeopathic remedies. Homeopathy - a teaching how to treat like with like and create drugs based on the memory of water. No one can describe the mechanism of action of this memory (because it does not exist), and homeopathic remedies have failed to show their efficiency evidence in trials. Homeopathy is recognized pseudoscienceSo we do not advertise any homeopathic substances.
- medications from hit list drugs such as hepatoprotectors, nootropics and many others. Hit list - a list of funds that do not have confirmed the effectiveness.
- Antiviral drugs "from the flu and colds." Universal antiviral does not recognize the WHO, they are not common anywhere except the CIS countries. In fact, many of these drugs are included in the hit list.
- Devices for home physiotherapy. Their action is not verified methods of evidence-based medicine.
- All other drugs with unconfirmed efficacy and safety.
How terrible to live!
It does not matter if conscious of their health and believe only authoritative sources. Do not get fooled by advertising a miracle remedy for everything at once, check the views from the Internet with the help of scientific articles, and most importantly - just take care of his body. And we will continue to write articles about health to you in all of this help.