How to grow and die city, from ancient Rome to Detroit
Podcasts / / December 25, 2019
In the fifth edition of the podcast "Living in the city," talking about the big cities, the role of transport and industry in their development and what should happen to the city began to die.
"To live in the city" - a joint project Layfhakera and PIK Group. It is dedicated to how to develop modern cities and how people live in them: work, rest and raise their children.
Irina Rogava again met with teacher Urban and street art in RSUH Anton Polsky and learned about how to live and die city.
- 0:43 - the first cities appeared in antiquity, but to actively explore their steel only in the XX century. Anton tells about the concept of "metropolis" and the role of rivers and railways in the formation of large settlements.
- 7:12 - were born as a city? Naturally it occurred in a place that attracted a large number of people - in the power centers of trade and culture. Anton gives a brief background on the cities of antiquity from Mesopotamia to ancient Greek settlements policies and Rome.
- 14:30 - about how cities grow and die. Usually in decline blame the traffic problems and fading industries - especially in single-industry towns, which was originally based on production. Our expert explains what St. Petersburg is fundamentally different from Moscow and how the World Cup has affected the Russian settlements.
- 23:13 - what are the pros and cons of living in the city? Of course, the big city - it's a great opportunity. In this case, even the ancient Greeks believed that in such conditions is impossible democracy: people too much. As for modern cities, the main drawback - it is, of course, the isolation of man from nature. However, Anton believes that the trend of ecological thinking already solves this problem.
Subscribe to Podcast "Living in the city"And listen wherever convenient:
- SoundCloud →
- RSS →
- "VKontakte» →
- YouTube →
- iTunes →
- City of the future: how will Moscow in 10 years
- As people change their city for the better
- Not rubber, why all so want to move to Moscow
- How long should I earn to live comfortably in Moscow