When it is necessary to urgently get to the doctor
As soon as possible go to the appointment with the eye doctor or, depending on the state of health, call an ambulance ifEye pain:
- Acute pain occurred immediately after you were sawing wood, polished metal, or perform other actions that can drive into your eyes sharp foreign body.
- Severe pain was the result of an injury. For example, you stumbled upon a solid object or received a blow to the eye socket.
- The pain is accompanied by blurred vision and / or sensitivity to light, and visual distortions - for example, you can see rainbow-colored rings around lights. These may be symptoms of glaucoma - an irreversible disease that causes atrophy of the optic nerve.
- In addition to the pain you are experiencing bouts nausea and vomiting.
- Shortly before the onset of pain you have had eye operations.
- The affected eye is not only hurts, but blushed swelling out of it something stands out.
- Pain is severe, occurred suddenly while on prophylactic examinations previously ophthalmologist already assumed you have the risk of developing glaucoma.
- It is difficult to move the affected eye or you can not keep it open.
One and especially more of the symptoms is enough to immediately contact the doctors: there is a risk of losing sight quickly.
Fortunately, situations requiring emergency medical care, there are not so often. In most cases, the pain in the eyes is less dangerous reasons. That, too, is not worth it to endure.
Why hurt your eyes, and what to do
1. muscle tension
This is one of the most common causesEyestrain. Perhaps you are too long and actively look into the screen of a laptop or smart phone, work too closely with the papers or have to look not to reduce to some object in the distance. In this case, the muscles responsible for eye work, reside in the same tense position. They accumulate lactic acid, and it turns into pain.
What to do
First of all - remember that your eyes need rest too. Working with documents or "stuck" in gadgets, do not forget at least once an hour and a half to arrange a break for 5-10 minutes. Effectively helps relieve muscle tension Gymnastics for the eyes: It is enough to do the exercises at least once a day.
2. Refusal of points
Many people with age deteriorate eyesight, but not all are able to recognize this point in time. Nearsightedness or farsightedness, not adjusted for glasses or lenses, again, the same causes eye muscles to overwork. And you do not even have to work with the documents or the computer. Just look at the world around.
What to do
Regularly (at least once a year) check the eyesight. If necessary, together with an ophthalmologist pick glasses or contact lenses.
3. dryness of the cornea
The cornea is called the outer transparent shell eyes. This is an amazing fabric: it has no blood vessels and nutrients and oxygen are delivered to her tears. Not crocodile, of course, but a small amount of fluid that is released from the lacrimal glands in the normal state.
While the cornea is washed by a sufficient amount of tear fluid, it's okay. But if water is not enough, the shell is not alone. It receives less oxygen and nutrition and suffering, and we feel a stinging, burning, pain in the eyes.
Such a condition doctors call dry eye syndrome. It can cause all sorts of reasons. Maybe:
- Around the air is too dry. As a result, the liquid evaporates sloznaya, failing to give needed.
- You are too focused and remember to blink. This often happens when working with gadgets.
- You are taking medications that alter the composition of the tear film, which is why it dries faster. These medications include some antidepressants and oral contraceptives.
- Every day you wear contact lenses.
- Do you have a chronic condition (state), which affects the composition of tear fluid. This, for example, diabetes, menopause, blepharitis (chronic inflammation of the eyelids).
What to do
To get started, set in the room where you spend most of the day, humidifier air. Learn how regularly distracted by gadgets, to how to blink.
If the stinging and burning eyes still make themselves felt, be sure to go and see an ophthalmologist. The doctor will review your health, lifestyle, medications taken and other factors and make recommendations that will reduce the dryness of the cornea. For example, to prescribe drops of artificial tears.
Drawing pain behind and above the eyes in the background sinusitis, Sinusitis, or other types of sinusitis (inflammation of the paranasal sinuses) - a naturalEye Pain: What is Causes phenomenon. The infection causes swelling of mucous membranes, they press on the eyeballs within, causing pain.
What to do
Treat sinusitis. Of course, under the supervision of a therapist.
5. Scorch cornea (photokeratitis)
Stinging, burning sensation, feeling of sand in the eyes may appear after a day on the sunny beach or a snowy hillside. Or after you still dare to look at the weld.
What to do
Discomfort rather quickly pass by themselves. For the future: Always wear dark spectaclesGoing out in the sun, and do not neglect safety rules during welding work.
6. Abrasions, scratches, foreign bodies on the cornea
A gust of wind enters easily into the eyes of dust, dirt, tiny foreign particles. They can leave corneal abrasions, scratches, or for some time to stick to it, causing painEye PainWhich become more pronounced when you blink.
What to do
Most abrasions and tsarapinok within a day or two to heal on their own, and foreign particles are washed away as quickly tear fluid. To accelerate this process, try Rinse eyes with clean water or with artificial tear drops.
But if the pain lasts longer than a couple of days, you should consult an ophthalmologist: there is a risk that the infection develops in the eye.
7. eye infections
Depending on what it is inflamed, eye infections are divided into:
- blepharitis - inflammation of the century;
- keratitis - inflammation of the cornea;
- conjunctivitis - inflammation of the conjunctiva (the protein);
- iritis - iritis;
- endophthalmitis - inflammation of the lining of the eye.
These conditions are caused by viruses, bacteria, fungus, which fall within the visual organ or externally (through tiny scratches), or with blood inside.
What to do
Infection is accompanied not only pain, but also itching, lacrimation, redness and swelling of the affected eye (or both), purulent secretions. If you intend to inflammation, as soon as possible consult a physician. Self-medication is dangerous!
8. Optic neuritis
So called inflammation of the nerve that transmits information from the eyeball to the brain directly. Optic neuritis - one of the most frequentNeuritis nervi optici causes of sudden vision loss in young and middle age. He is often accompanied by the development of multiple sclerosis.
Pain of this type is enhanced by eye movement from side to side. In addition, it is necessarily accompanied by a decrease in vision and impaired color perception.
What to do
Quickly contact an ophthalmologist. When time begun treatment of optic neuritis can be defeated and restore vision almost completely.
- What if eye twitches
- What do the red eyes, and what to do with them
- How to reduce the load on the eye if you are constantly working at the computer