Sinusitis: what to do to a runny nose does not become a nightmare
Educational Program Health / / December 19, 2019
What is sinusitis
To understand what is sinusitis, it is necessary to understand the anatomy.
The bones of the skull, there are small cavities, which communicate with the nose. They are called the sinus or sinuses. Inside they are covered with a mucous membrane. Inflammation of the sinuses called sinusitis.
Sinusitis - is a particular case of sinusitis, inflammation of the sinuses, which are located in the maxillary bone (on the sides of the nose, under the eyes).
Apart from sinusitis, there is still a frontal sinusitis (inflammation of the frontal sinuses), ethmoiditis (inflammation of the sinuses ethmoid bone) and sphenoiditis (when suffer the sphenoid sinus). In most cases, even in normal SARS inflammation captures the many sinus, so the more correct term would be "sinusitis". But they are not patients.
In the normal state sinuses have different functions: warm the air we breathe, soften blows with injuries and so on. But sinus disease takes much less pleasant things: allocate a huge amount of mucus, swelling and prevent breathing.
By the way, the children are underdeveloped sinuses, so doshkolyata almost never suffer from sinusitis and other types of sinusitis.
The main causes of sinusitis
- viruses. Sinusitis caused by a virus, many are transferred along with the usual ARI. In most cases, it goes by itself.
- bacteria. Bacterial infection of the sinuses is more dangerous than a virus because when it accumulates in the sinuses a lot of pus, can form an abscess and inflammation spread to other organs. Bacteria often attack weakened virus body.
- allergens. Allergic sinusitis can not be held for months and constantly interferes with normal breathing.
Accordingly, the higher the risk of getting SARS, the higher the risk of catching an inflammation of mucous membranes in the paranasal sinuses. If SARS is not treated (ie, not giving the body to recover), the activated bacteria.
In addition, sometimes the bacteria can "break" in the nose of the nearby organs: tonsils, ears and even untreated teeth. And if you surround yourself with allergens, dust and tobacco smoke, it will be easier to get sick too.
symptoms of sinusitis
The most unpleasant and dangerous type of sinusitis is bacterial. That is, it appears most often after acute respiratory viral infections as a complication. It has distinctive symptoms:
- Long-term (more than three weeks), runny nose.
- Strengthening the common cold after improvement.
- Temperature increase.
- Purulent nasal discharge.
- Nasal congestion, difficulty breathing.
- Violation of smell.
- Feeling that bosom bursting.
- Pain in the front of the face, especially when bending forward of the head.
Sometimes to the essential features align halitosis, dental pain, ear pain, and weakness.
All these symptoms of sinusitis - an obvious reason to visit a doctor and not self-medicate.
Than to treat sinusitis
It all depends on what it is:
- If the sinus inflammation caused by a virus, the treatment is symptomatic.
- If you joined a bacterial infection that needs antibiotics that the doctor prescribes.
- If the reason for allergy, then you need to get rid of the allergen.
The cause of sinusitis is to establish a doctor, who will prescribe medication, if required. Your task - time to see an audiologist, pass tests and make settings. Your doctor may prescribe physiotherapy, They should not miss.
But warm nose pairs of anything not necessary. Firstly, the risk of burn mucous greater than the benefits. Second, if you have a sinus accumulated pus, the warming can lead to deterioration.
Be sure to provide the outflow of mucus. Sinusitis - a case when it is possible and it is necessary to drip vasoconstrictor nasal drops, take antihistamines, instilled into the nose drops of oil or brine. In order not to lead to complications wash cavity pressurized jet of solution is possible only in the case if the nose is not incorporated.
If you're without a fever, try to walk more, and breathe fresh air.
Do I need to pierce and warm
Puncture and lavage of sinuses - this is an extreme measure of treatment, which will be entirely unnecessary if the doctor correctly establish the cause of inflammation and pick up the correct drugs. However, sometimes puncture is needed if, for example, the treatment does not give result and the need to take further analysis and determine which microbe is to blame for the inflammation.
Contrary to popular belief, if one just make a puncture, you will sit down for this procedure. But it is better to not communicate, that is engaged prevention SARS, to treat allergies and run to the doctor at the first sign of illness.