How to take care of themselves, to guard against burnout and overwork
Health / / December 19, 2019
This article can not only read, but also listen. If you prefer - turn on a podcast.
Trainer healthy lifestyle blogger.
The cycle of work and other responsibilities, many often forget about themselves, their happiness, and that for them is really important. And the time spent on leisure and self-care seems Conducted wasted. Even when there are fatigue, depression, health problems. If you long to be in this state, you can burn out.
Which leads to fatigue and burnout
I experienced it first hand. I used to think what to put their own needs above others selfishly. I thought that to love - so constantly in the first place to think of others.
In this case I combined an intense work in the field of finance, the launch of its business and training seven days a week. I slept for four to six hours, trying to balance between personal life, family and pet. As a result, I felt fatigue, exhaustion, exhaustion.
In this period of life, I often fell asleep in his clothes, almost falling onto the bed. Gradually, I gotdepression. I completely ceased to do something for my own pleasure, thinking only of the order.
I forgot who I was, how to be happy. I saw no reason to devote time to yourself: recharge and remember what I want out of life.
So I lived for two years - without holidays and weekends - until the body is not made me slow down. My immune system is weak, and at first I fell down with pneumonia, and then - with a staph infection. I have become so sluggish that it was difficult to just get out of bed.
This continued for several months. And it was for me a good kick, reminiscent of what you need to take care of themselves. After all, without it I would not be able to help others.
If you constantly ignore their needs, sooner or later burn. Check to see if you and it is time to pause in their hectic lifestyle.
How does burnout
Here are signs that you are at risk:
- By the end of the day you are so exhausted that they fall down on the sofa and fall asleep without noticing it.
- By the end of the week you will be incredibly difficult wake up in the morning bed.
- At the weekend you sleep prohibitively much, just to feel normal.
- No matter how many lasted a vacation, you still wake up tired.
- You can not survive without caffeine during the day.
- Often you work so much that you forget to eat.
- Do you like fast food and sweets in large quantities in order to get energy.
- You avidly watching sitcoms and distract themselves in other ways, so as not to be alone with his thoughts.
If you feel that you are close to burnout, time for you to reconsider your attitude to yourself.
What is the care of the self
I used to think that it assumes a constant feeling of happiness. But then I realized that it is impossible to always be happy, and suffering - a part of life, we need for personal growth.
This self-care helps to better understand themselves and their goals. It provides an anchor in difficult situations, which keeps you afloat. It teaches us not to get hung up on little things and pay attention to health: mental, physical and emotional. Here are tips to strengthen all three areas.
What to do for mental health
- Relax and allow yourself to do nothing. Do not pick up the phone at this time.
- Read books on self development.
- Listen to educational podcasts (the news is not considered).
- Play with the animals.
- Hug loved ones.
- Do what makes you smile.
- Engage in creative work.
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Keep a journal of gratitude.
What to do to emotional health
- a simple man, who long held a grudge.
- Do what has long wanted to do but were afraid to.
- Focus on your own needs and purposes, and do not compare yourself with others.
- Be compassionate to yourself.
- Take a break from the social networks.
- Allow yourself to live through their feelings, and do not run away from them.
- Read the art book that will cheer up.
- Take a break from technology.
- Help someone without expecting anything in return.
- use positive affirmations.
- Write down what you like about yourself.
What can I do for physical health
- Practice deep breathing.
- Take your favorite music.
- Sleep enough time.
- Engage in weightlifting.
- Go on foot.
- Play sports games.
- Walk and be in the sun.
- Try yoga or other forms of conscious movement.
- Eat a healthy diet (fruits and vegetables, unprocessed foods).
How it will change your life
Taking care of yourself has saved me from severe burnout. I was difficult to slow down during the day and deal with them, so I became get up early. I began to devote one o'clock himself and created his own morning ritual to start the day with a positive note. And this in turn positive charges all spheres of life.
Before, I felt disgusting, getting to work on the morning. Now I do it with pleasure, because I look forward to a pleasant experience: hiking in the gym, podcast, or meditation. I noticed that the overall feel happier, I am filled with gratitude for the good things in my life.
More I for eight weeks dropped 5.5 kilos, although rarely went to the gym. I just cut the daily stress and a better place to eat. I used to heavily load the body tense way of life and too frequent training. And not lost weight because of the stress, and gaining weight.
So that's my secret slimming: stress reduction, moderate exercise and mindful eating! It helped more change of attitude to the sport. Previously, I trained only to look good, and now I'm more important than health.
Another important part of the daily care of yourself - a diary of gratitude. Write down something for which you want to say thanks life and people around. This helps each day to find the happy moments and pay more attention to family. A meditation reduces stress, anxiety and negative thoughts.
Thanks to the care of myself, I noticed repetitive anxious thoughts that are constantly pulling me back, cause a feeling of inferiority.
Now I see that such thought patterns essentially just bad habits. And you can get rid of them. And it's great boosts self-confidence.
If you too are accustomed to neglect their own interests for the sake of work and the other is likely you bring yourself more harm than good. Remember what they say in the plane: "In the case of cabin depressurization at first put the oxygen mask on yourself and then on the child."
After all, if you have not first take care of yourself, you will lose consciousness and be able to help others. And this applies not only to emergency situations, but also everyday life.
- 15 proven ways to be happy at work
- Why recycle dangerous and how to protect workers from overwork
- How to cope with burnout and regain his productivity