How to protect yourself from heart disease caused by stress
Health / / December 19, 2019
We already wrote about the fact that stress has a negative impact on brain and digestion. In addition, it increases the risk of heart attack and other cardiovascular diseases. Swedish scientists have come to this conclusionStress related disorders and risk of cardiovascular disease: population based, sibling controlled cohort studyComparing the performance of 100 thousand people suffering from various stress disorders, and their healthy brothers and sisters. The researchers analyzed data from the participants for 27 years. It turned out that people with such ailments (PTSD, acute stress after injury) significantly higher risk of developing heart disease.
"In the first year after the detection of stress risk of complications in the cardiovascular system increases 60% - says epidemiologist Unnur Valdimarsdottir (Unnur Valdimarsdóttir), one of the authors research. - And in the long term, it remains high at 30%. "
It is impossible to get rid of stress. But its impact on health is largely dependent on our response to it.
"Imagine that you are walking down the street, suddenly someone jumps in front of your nose and scare you, - says Professor Simon Bacon (Simon Bacon), who studies the impact of lifestyle on chronic diseases. - What happens? Your heart is clogged faster, blood pressure increase. The reaction is immediate. " In the short term it is useful. Such a reaction is necessary for you to run away from danger or attack in response.
The problems arise when the stress response occurs without the immediate threat. For example, people with PTSD, it is included only with the memories of negative experiences.
"When stress reactions occur frequently, activates the immune system, inflammation develops", - said Ernesto Schiffrin (Ernesto Schiffrin), professor of medicine at McGill University. And it can lead to atherosclerosis - a narrowing of the arteries. According to him the blood gets from the heart to the organs. In atherosclerosis they become narrower liquid movement difficult, increases the likelihood of heart attack, Stroke and other problems with the cardiovascular system.
Here are steps to help you protect yourself from stress:
- exercise. Control Centers for Disease and Prevention interviewedThe Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Healthy Days Measures - Population tracking of perceived physical and mental health over time more than a million people about their habits and health. It turned out that those who engage in sports, less likely to suffer from psychological problems. And in dealing with stress and anxiety are particularly usefulAssociation between physical exercise and mental health in 1 · 2 million individuals in the USA between 2011 and 2015: a cross-sectional study commanding views. If they do not attract, select a walk in the woods, running or any other kind of physical activity.
- Communicate with people. Loneliness has become a real epidemic. According to a surveyNew Cigna Study Reveals Loneliness at Epidemic Levels in AmericaTwo of the five members complain of a lack of communication or feeling of isolation. And it harms both mental and physical health. So try to spend with friends and family more time. Sign up for group lessons on what you're interested in, or have a volunteer. So you will meet new people and get rid of the feeling of isolation from society.
- Use relaxation techniques, and meditation. It is proved that mindfulness practices helpBenefits of mindfulness meditation in reducing blood pressure and stress in patients with arterial hypertension reduce stress response and even lower blood pressure.
- eat well. Food and mood are closely relatedMood, food, and obesity. Diet, in which a lot of processed carbohydrates and sugar, leads to problems with metabolism and mood swings. Choose the power of the Mediterranean type of diet: lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fish.
- Contact someone for help. Lifestyle changes can help to cope with everyday stress, but they are not enough if you have a serious disorder. Do not make yourself suffer and smile. Treat your mental health as well as physical: seek professional help.
- What is atherosclerosis and how to prevent it
- 10 early symptoms of Parkinson's disease, which is dangerous to ignore
- 21 response to the naive, but important questions about cholesterol