Discord in the house of AI: the head of OpenAI Sam Altman was fired, and the company's employees are ready to leave after
Miscellaneous / / November 20, 2023
The real “Santa Barbara” in the world of high technology. Let's talk briefly about what happened.
Personnel changes and layoffs in large corporations often cause a lot of noise on the Internet, but what is happening now at OpenAI could form the basis of a TV series or documentary. The situation is developing literally every day, and its outcome may affect the further development of the entire field of artificial intelligence. But first things first.
1. It all started November 17when it became known about the sudden dismissal Sam Altman, one of the founders of OpenAI, which created ChatGPT. The board of directors motivated its decision by saying that the head “was not frank in his contacts with the board, which prevented him from fulfilling his duties.”
2. Along with Altman, OpenAI co-founder and president Greg Brockman, as well as three senior developers, left the company.
3. After such a loss, investors began to put pressure on the board of directors and ask for Sam to be returned. AND November 19took place, but failed because the parties did not agree on the necessary changes in the company.
4. OpenAI decided not to waste time and invited to the position of CEO Emmett Shear, co-founder and former head of Twitch.
5. Microsoft, which works closely with OpenAI in the field of artificial intelligence, did not miss its chance and literally the next day, 20 November, hired all the employees who left the company. Altman and Brockman are now expected to lead "a new cutting-edge research group in the field of artificial intelligence." Their greeted personally Satya Nadella, head of Microsoft.
6. But the story doesn't end there either. On the 20th it became known that 505 of 700 OpenAI employees in an open letter asked The company's board of directors resign, while Altman and Brockman were reinstated. Otherwise, they are ready to join a new Microsoft subsidiary that has promised them all jobs under their former bosses.
But since the board of directors has already made a choice, deciding to keep their seats and appointing a new CEO, and Altman and Brockman is creating a new team, it looks like Microsoft will soon take several hundred new ones under its wing employees.
By data Bloomberg, Altman’s resignation was due to disagreements between him and Ilya Sutskever, a board member directors, co-founder and chief researcher of the company in matters of AI security and commercialization. A conflict has long been brewing between them over the containment of AI and the “protective” approach to its development.
Altman has always tried to walk the line between optimism and concern, making it clear that he believes AI will ultimately benefit humanity. The board appears to have adopted a position of maximizing safety, reducing risks and extracting commercial benefits.
The New York Times writes, that among the employees there is also a division into two camps, but Altman’s supporters, judging by the number of signatures for his return, are much more numerous.
This is probably not the end of the story. We will continue to monitor the development of the situation. Its consequences can and will almost certainly affect the further development of AI.
Read also about ChatGPT🤖🧐🤖
- 7 ChatGPT analogues
- How to Learn English with ChatGPT and Other Chatbots
- 10 useful plugins for ChatGPT
0 / 0
As an author, I am needed to look for quality products for Lifehacker readers) And this is a selection of products, and not an educational article for novice baristas. It just so happens that on the Russian market moka coffee makers are called exclusively geyser coffee makers. I think readers might have questions if the collection talked about moka coffee makers, and the links included the usual geyser ones.10 geyser coffee makers that will make your drink aromatic and not run away
0 / 0
Thanks for the recipe! I often bake buns with cinnamon, poppy seeds, and use real cinnamon sticks, which I chop first. Perhaps someone will find my recipe for cinnamon filling useful; the baked goods are aromatic, moist, and very tasty: 100 grams of sugar (you can use brown), 25 grams of cocoa powder (preferably alkalized), 50-60 grams of flour (you can replace some with chopped nuts), 1-1.5 Art. l. cinnamon, mix everything, add 100 grams of softened butter. Apply a thin layer to the dough and form into a bun.Braided Cinnamon Rolls