Why are we going to be late and get rid of this habit
A Life / / December 19, 2019
Some late always and everywhere. It turns out that these people different is how they plan their time charges and road.
Ron Helpmen (Ron Helpman)
Psychotherapist from New York, creator of the site of the lateness Lateness.org.
Helpmen believes that such people tend to either not take into account everything that they need to do during the gathering, or do not realize how much time will be spent on each case.
For example, when they count how long they will go out to get to the place, they only think about the longest part of the journey, forget about the little things like that, to find a place to park or walk from the car to place.
Others are always looking for the most optimistic scenario, remembering the rare case when it took 20 minutes instead of the usual 30. Someone just overestimating their strength, promising free after 10 minutes, although the current deal will take more of at least 40. And often these factors act together.
How do deal with it? To negotiate with such a person to meet before this term is useless: at best, it will help once or twice, until he gets used.
People who are chronically late, you need a clear reason to start to strive for punctuality.
"The idea is that they upset the other usually does not help - says Helpmen. - Rather, it even causes offense to the fact that they do not understand. They need to see that punctuality will give to themselves. " One of the customers Helpmena helped the realization that he was tired from the stress and bustle associated with its frequent delays.
Learn how to count time
One awareness of the problem will not automatically get rid of it. Therefore Helpmen recommended to do this exercise.
- Record how much time do you usually spend on fees and road. Then make a list of everything that you do during the gathering, and estimate how much time is spent on each case. At the end add up everything.
- Consider whether you have considered everything? We often do not take into account such things as to wash or check e-mail, although they, too, takes time. Do you burn each stage of the journey? How realistic do you calculate the time for every business?
- Make a second list of things you need to do when you are going somewhere, and next to each indicate the maximum possible runtime. Compare the two lists. If you usually late, the difference will be significant.
- Now determine factors beyond your control: cases where you forget something and you have to go back when the bus is late or you get stuck in a traffic jam. And calculate how often this happens.
- Add additional time for each such scenario, and another five minutes just in case.
Try to stick to the plan during the week. If you still require more time, think about what causes it, consider every action, every item of its list.
When you understand how much time you actually spent on a particular case, it will be easier to calculate the correct time and arrive on time.