12 things you should do after buying a new Android
Android / / December 19, 2019
1. Tie your smartphone to your Google Account
When first turned on, you will welcome the setup wizard. First of all, it asks you to connect to your Google account. If you accidentally or intentionally skipped this step, later it can be done as follows:
- Open smartphone settings.
- Click "Account", and on some devices - "Users and Accounts".
- At the bottom of the screen, tap "Add account," then select its type - Google.
- Enter your user name and password.
account Google is required in order to install apps on Google Play, receive email, synchronize data and contacts. In general, on Android without it in any way. Once the smartphone is connected to your account, you are ready for further action.
2. Update your system and applications
Even if you have a brand new smartphone is worth checking out and install updates. During the time while the device is lying on the counter, manufacturer and third-party application developers certainly rolled out new versions of its software and firmware patches.
- If you have pure Android firmware, open the Settings app and press a sequence of "system» → «Advanced settings» → «System Update." On some firmwares do not have the item "Advanced Settings" - in this case, press the "On the system."
- Before you open the menu, telling status updates. If a new version of the software, click "Refresh".
Holders of modified firmware from Samsung, Xiaomi, and other settings will be slightly different manufacturers. View instructions for updating the firmware on the device to a particular brand can be in our article.
Update is not only the system, but also a smartphone application.
- Go to the Google Play store and open the side menu.
- Click the "My applications and games."
- If updates are available, click the "Refresh All" and wait for a while.
3. Enable the "Search Device"
Losing a smartphone - very unpleasant. Lose a new smartphone - just awful. So you should take care to protect your Android before him something to happen. To do this, you need to enable Google function "Search for Devices".
- Open smartphone settings and consistently go to "Settings» → Google → «Security».
- Click "Find Device" and make sure that this feature is enabled.
- Please visit android.com/find and make sure that your phone is correctly displayed on the map.
Built-in Google search devices is very handy thing. But if you want to use the protection more seriously, pay attention to these options.
4. Set a screen lock
Since our phones kept a lot of sensitive data (personal photos, correspondence, passwords and bank records), you just need to protect your Android from prying. First, configure the screen lock.
- Open smartphone settings.
- Select "Privacy and location" or "lock and protection", depending on the version of your firmware.
- Select the method of protection - password, the PIN, pattern, scan or fingerprint of the person.
The main thing is to remember your password carefully. It has not turned so that you will not be able unlock your smartphone.
5. Enable Smart Lock function
Lock Screen - the inherent safety condition. But sometimes the need to unlock the screen constantly annoying, especially if you are at home. And to make your life easier, it is necessary to activate the function Smart Lock. She unlocks the smartphone automatically if you are at home, or if there is a trusted device with Bluetooth - for example, your desktop computer or a smart bracelet.
- Open smartphone settings and click "Privacy and location» → Smart Lock.
- Enter your password.
- Select an option to automatically unlock - in a safe place near the trusted device or through code Ok Google the phrase.
6. Set a timetable for the regime, "Do not disturb"
You are not tired of every time to manually turn off notifications on your phone before going to the university to work or getting ready for bed? Instead of opening every time the shutter, it is better to set up a schedule, and the phone will go into silent mode automatically.
This is done as follows:
- Slide your finger down the screen to open the shutter notification and locate the power button mode "Do Not Disturb".
- Press and hold the button until you see the schedule settings.
- Activate the "Enable automatically."
- Click "Add" and specify at what time and in which days of the week the phone should automatically disable the warning. You can create any number of rules - for example, to the silent mode is activated, when you are working, then off, and then turned back on while you sleep.
- When finished creating the schedule, click the checkbox in the upper right corner to save your settings and exit the setting.
7. Turn Ok Google team in Google Assistant
voice assistant Google seriously make life easier, especially if you want to do something with the phone, and your hands are busy. For example, to switch the playing track or take a call. But you first need to set up an assistant, so he always responded to Ok Google team.
- Open the Google app.
- Click "More" ellipsis labeled. Select "Settings".
- Select «Google Assistant" switch to tab "Wizard" and click "Phone".
- Turn «Google Assistant" and click "Access via Voice Match». When the smart phone will ask you to provide a voice sample, click "Next", say Ok Google to four times, and then click "Finish".
- At will enable unlocking voice. Useful if you want to give commands to the assistant, and the screen is off.
8. Include backups of photos in Google Photos
google Photos - a perfect application. Thanks to him, you can organize your photos, and the program will ensure that no picture will not be lost.
- «Google Photos" open the app.
- Click "Allow" to enable automatic downloading and saving images.
- In the window that opens, select the Google account with which you want to sync photos.
- Select the capacity in which to upload photos - for pictures with the original quality of your space is limited volume of storage in Google Drive. For the option "High quality" is no such limitation.
- Check the "Enable mobile Internet" if you do not care about traffic flow.
- Click OK.
9. Set up the app
Do you have to Layfhakera list the best and proven applications that should be installed on the new gadget. Of course, no need to download them all. Choose only what you need. And remember: less is better. The fewer applications will have you set, the more stable and will run Android faster. And at the same time will be more space for files and music.
10. Select your default applications
When you first open any file or link, Android asks you which program to use. It's a bit annoying. Therefore, after you install the essentials of the program, it is worth spending a bit of time and set the default application. Then the system will know your preferences and will not pester you with unnecessary questions.
- Open the "Settings" and go to "Applications".
- Look for the item "Default Apps" (it may be in the "More" menu or with three dots in the upper right corner of the screen).
- In the Open the settings, select your favorite browser, image viewer, player for music and video player, a program for calls and messages, e-mail client, and other commonly used application.
- When done, click on the arrow at the top of the screen to save your changes and exit.
11. Set up mobile data savings
Your mobile internet can be restricted, and Android is very fond of waste bandwidth. Therefore it is necessary to configure the system so that it behaved more economical.
- Open Android Settings.
- Click "Network and Internet» → «Data transfer».
- Enable the "Install traffic limit."
- Specify the number of megabytes can download a smartphone before, you will be shown a notice. After reaching this limit, the mobile Internet will be disabled.
Also, it is useful to limit the updating applications via the mobile network. For this:
- Go to the Google Play store.
- Touch the side menu on the left and click "Settings".
- Make sure that under "Auto-update apps" If the switch is "only through Wi-Fi».
A few more ways to save mobile data described in this article.
12. Personalize your home screen
Customize the home screen rather individual session. Some Android users love to fill up his widgets and prefer to live wallpaper. Others follow a minimalist philosophy and strive to phone not distracted them from important things. However, you can give a couple of general recommendations.
- Do not create a lot of desktops. Three would be sufficient. Otherwise their flipping to find the right is time-consuming.
- Located on the home screen only those applications and widgets that I use often. All sorts of games and unimportant tools better to hide the menu depth.
- Create folders. Be the applications by category and you can find the right quickly.
- Instead of digging through the web and manually select Android Wallpaper - install any application that will automatically update the backgrounds. For example, Wallz or Casualis.
- 8 Android-gestures, which you might not know
- 5 applications to be removed from the Android now!
- How to turn on night mode in Google Apps on Android