What if the laptop is not being charged with the Windows, MacOS or Linux
Educational Program Technologies / / December 19, 2019
What to do first
1. Make sure that everything is connected
First, check the obvious things. Firstly, that the power cord is connected to the laptop and the adapter itself and charging - to the network. Secondly, that the outlet or extension cord serviceable: just turn them in a lamp or other appliance.
2. Inspect the connector
Often the problem is shattered nest. Carefully inspect the connector. Check that there was no garbage, and insert the connector to the end and did not dangle.
If there is damage, it is necessary to remove them and the laptop will start to charge. However, without tools and soldering skills are not enough. So, most likely, you will have to contact the service.
If mind all together and connector securely fastened, move on to the next item.
3. Check the power cord
A broken wire can also cause problems. So look for kinks, wear braids, peredavlennye areas. If you find, as you collapsible charger, try replacing the cable obviously working (from another laptop) and check whether the battery is charging.
4. Test the charging adapter
To eliminate breakage of the power supply unit, replace it with the same operating parameters - ideally from the same laptop models. If you find the necessary adapter is difficult to carefully inspect the old. Damaged wire or plug, signs of overheating, melted portions, the smell of burnt plastic - all this indicates a potential failure.
If the hand is multimeterMeasure the voltage which gives the adapter. It must meet specified on the package.
5. Make sure the battery serviceability
The notebook can not be charged due to the large battery wear or problems with it. In this case, it will need to be changed.
Usually indicates a fault OS itself. But more information about the battery status can be obtained by using special software. For example, free utilities BatteryCare for Windows and CoconutBattery for MacOS.
In Linux, it has a Power Manager tool that is included in most distributions and is easy to install command
sudo apt install gnome-power-manager.
After starting in the main window all the tools you need to find the factory, and the current capacity of the battery and to compare them. Equally important is the level of wear. If it is more than 50%, the battery is likely to have to be replaced. But do not hurry - first try the other tips.
6. Check the charge in the other OS
If on the laptop two operating systems installed in dualboot mode, the simplest solution - to switch from one OS to another, and to check whether the laptop is charging. If so, then the problem is with the OS and reinstall help.
If a laptop OSes, please refer to the LiveUSB-distribution.
- Download Linux distribution in ISO format. It is best to Ubuntu: it's popular and highly compatible. Select the latest version (non-LTS) - many of the errors that affect your current distribution can be corrected in it.
- Connect to your laptop USB-stick capacity of 2 GB.
- Install the utility Etcher and specify the ISO-file and disk to which you want to write it down.
- After recording restart the computer and boot from the stick. To select the boot media, press the Del key at startup on the PC and Option on the Mac.
- When the Boot menu appears, change the language and then select "Run Ubuntu without any change."
- After loading the system look at the power icon in the menu bar. If the battery is charged, then the problem is in the OS and reinstall help.
- How to Reinstall Windows: step by step guide
- How to make a bootable USB flash drive with macOS
- How to install Linux: For detailed instructions,
What if the laptop is not being charged with a Windows or Linux
1. Follow the battery initialization
Sometimes the battery may violate software failures. In this case, help initialization procedure that reason with electronics and restore performance. Proceed as follows:
- Completely turn off the laptop, unplug all cables and external devices.
- If the battery is removable, otscholknite clamps and remove it.
- Press the power button and hold for 30 seconds, and preferably for a minute fidelity.
- If you remove the battery, the battery into place, snap the locks and ensure reliable contact.
- Connect the charging and wait for about 15 minutes.
- Turn on the computer as usual.
If the cause was a software failure, after the battery system boot should start charging.
2. Reset the BIOS settings
Another way to organize the work of the software that controls the battery - reset BIOS. Do not worry, this procedure does not affect the operating system and the content on the disc.
- Switch the notebook off and unplug the power cord.
- If the battery is removable, remove it by sliding clamps.
- Hold down the power button for about a minute.
- Connect the charging network and plug the cable into your laptop. The battery is not yet set.
- Turn on your computer and when you start enter the BIOS. This is usually done by pressing F2 or Delete. As a rule, the required combination is displayed on the screen.
- Find the menu that opens, click Load Defaults (Optimized Defaults or something similar), select it.
- Confirm with Save and Exit.
- After rebooting, turn off the laptop by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds.
- If you remove the battery, return to the place after removing the power cord.
- Check that the charge is connected to a laptop and turn it on.
After starting the operating system will tell you that the battery has been detected, and in a few seconds charging to begin.
- How do I reset the BIOS and revive your computer
3. Update the drivers (Windows only)
In the battery also has its own drivers, which can fail. In this case, Windows reports that the battery is plugged in but not charging. If the problem is really in the driver, it will help it to reinstall.
- Run the "Task Manager" via the search menu or via the "Control Panel".
- Scroll down to "Battery" and open it.
- Right-click on the item "Battery with ACPI-compliant control" and select "Delete."
- Restart the computer, and then turn on the system automatically resets the battery management driver.
What if the laptop is not being charged with macOS
If the problem is caused by the dysfunction of the software that can help the so-called initialization procedure. Here's what to do.
- Pull out the plug from the socket and charging, disconnect the cable from the laptop. Wait a few seconds.
- Open the menu Apple → «Off» and wait for the MacBook is completely shut down.
- If you are using a model with a removable battery, remove it and put it back.
- Turn on the computer as usual, by pressing the power button.
2. Reset the SMC
Problems with charging may be due to malfunctioning of the System Management Controller. He is responsible for a variety of low-level functions and battery included. Resetting the SMC in most cases returns the charging efficiency.
How to reset the SMC on a MacBook with a removable battery
All models produced before 2009.
- Shut down your MacBook and remove the battery.
- Press the power button and hold it for 5 seconds.
- Install the battery in place.
- You press the power button to turn on your laptop as usual.
How to reset the SMC on a MacBook c non-removable battery
MacBook Pro from 2009 onwards, all MacBook Air, all MacBook Retina.
- Open the Apple menu → «Off» and wait until the MacBook off.
- Press the keys on the keyboard Shift + Control + Option and the Power button. Hold all these buttons for 10 seconds.
- Release all buttons.
- You press the power button to turn on your laptop as usual.
How to reset the SMC on a MacBook c Apple T2 processor
MacBook Pro and MacBook Air since 2018.
- Go to the Apple → «Off" menu and wait for the shutdown of the computer.
- Press and hold 7 seconds left Control key, left Option and the right Control key. Without releasing these buttons, press and hold for 7 seconds the power button.
- Release all buttons pressed and wait a few seconds.
- Press the power button to turn on your MacBook as usual.
What if all else fails
Go to the service center. Most likely, the damaged power controller or other internal components. But just call and only experts will be able to eliminate the problem.
- How to sit at the laptop, so as not to hurt back
- What to do if water is spilled on the laptop
- How to clean a laptop from dust
- Do I need to remove the battery from your notebook to extend its service
- 10 things you need to consider when choosing a laptop